Watch now (2 min) | Gratitude on the first anniversary of this newsletter
I'm so glad you have decided to write this daily letter. Your shared insights and thought process have helped me question and rethink my understanding on difficult topics. Thank you.
Thank You Mr. Reich,
With your analytical skill maybe we can work together to “Form A More Perfect Union”
Americans need to realize that being this divided we cannot stand.
You know who really appreciates our continuous infighting? Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, Hungary etc…..
My takeaway is many of our fellow Americans are being CONvinced that our Government and Federal institutions are working against us.
45 and his Make America Gag Again Trumpers are CON artists! Take a look at just some of his best one-liners.
* "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
* “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."
* “Do you believe in punishment for abortion – yes or no – as a principle?” “The answer is there has to be some form of punishment.” “For the woman?” “Yeah, there has to be some form.
* “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
* “[Kim Jong-Un] speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”
* “In life you have to rely on the past, and that’s called history.”
* “I won’t do anything to take care of them. I’ll supply funds and she’ll take care of the kids. It’s not like I’m gonna be walking the kids down Central Park.”
* “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries coming here?”
* “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected."
* “Sorry losers and haters, but my IQ is one of the highest - and you all know it! Please don't feel so stupid or insecure, it's not your fault."
* “Just tried watching Modern Family - written by a moron, really boring. Writer has the mind of a very dumb and backward child. Sorry Danny!"
* “While @BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman, I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct."
* ".@arianahuff is unattractive both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man - he made a good decision."
* “[John McCain is]... not a war hero. He's a war hero - he's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I Like people that weren't captured, OK, I hate to tell you."
* “I'm the most successful person ever to run for the presidency, by far. Nobody's ever been more successful than me. I'm the most successful person ever to run. Ross Perot isn't successful like me. Romney - I have a Gucci store that's worth more than Romney."
* “If Hillary Clinton can't satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America?"
* “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."
* “Crazy Joe Biden is trying to act like a tough guy. Actually, he is weak, both mentally and physically, and yet he threatens me, for the second time, with physical assault. He doesn’t know me, but he would go down fast and hard, crying all the way."
After reading these quotes how could anyone believe this guy? I would be embarrassed and I would go on an Apology Tour if I voted for him!
If you’re not convinced listen to his rally in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania.
Hi, Robert! Congratulations! I can’t believe it’s been a year, either. Yes, I’ve found your podcasts very useful, and although I haven’t always agreed with you (I’ve rarely disagreed, actually), I can’t dispute the fact that you have a very great fund of knowledge. To say the least.
One main disagreement was over your approval of the Inflation Reduction Act, because of Manchin’s poison pill of fossil-fuel boosts. Bernie’s come up with an ingenious way of tackling the problem—when the budget comes up, just don’t fund the fossil-fuel boosts! I hope that works.
You are a kind man who does want everyday people to do well, I think. That’s very important. You don’t kowtow to anyone, as far as I can tell; nor do you seem to act superior to anybody. Thank you for your observations, and your insights into what Trump REALLY is up to, and what REALLY can cause inflation.
I can't thank you enough, Dr. Reich, for contributing to my understanding of the turmoil our country is undergoing and the decades of policies causing such an socioeconomic maelstrom.
As far as I'm concerned, you could never offer enough of your cogent analysis. I'm just amazed that you find the time to publish this exceptional newsletter, teach and lead a personal life.
Lastly, I'd never thought much of the the field of economics, as many of its practitioners seemed to side with the wealthy, while leaving the rest of the country intentionally fighting over scraps (trickle-down).
However, reading your newsletter and your honest, historical analysis gives me hope.
Thank you, Robert! Your incredibly hard work on this has been an inspiration to me. I'm doing all I can--letter writing with Vote Forward, donating every few weeks, phone banking starting tomorrow. I'm pushing my friends and family to do something, too, with regular emails. I've resolved not to travel till after the election so I can keep at it. We can all do something!
So glad you did this. I like being a part of this community! Thank you for all your hard work during a pandemic! And all your other roles!
Dr. Reich - you were my professor way back in 1989 - I was in the joint medical school/JFK program. You were my favorite professor and were so inspirational. When I graduated from HMS and finished residency, I became an abortion provider and this has been central to my life for now nearly 30 years (!) I found this community this past year, and it's been an incredible solace to me during this political rupture. I wake up every morning to read yours and Heather Cox Richardson's thoughts of the day. You've both given me a compass, to see abortion in the bigger context of an assault on our democracy. I just thank you so much for doing this and once again for being such an inspiration to me.
Happy anniversary from Australia. A dear friend of mine, who is also a paid subscriber, renamed our cafe get-togethers as a coffee klatch in honour of you and Heather. Your insightful analysis, clear explanations and display of wisdom over this year are much appreciated. Thank you, and keep going - democracies matter to the entire world.
Prof Reich — a few GOP nutters sneak around here, as you can tell by their comments. But nearly all of us here, as you can tell from our comments, are immensely grateful for your information and perspective. Thank you!
Dear Robert Reich, I have followed you for a long time. I just now upgraded my subscription to support your important work. I subscribe to Heather Cox Richardson’s newsletter, a wonderful addition to my knowledge of US history. I find YOU a comfort in these dark times in the US and the world. Thanks for being there. Sincerely, Elisabeth Iler
I have closely followed and respected your work for many years. In the past I relied on the occasional book, tv interview, or topical video to gain your insights on our economy, inflation and labor market.
But the frequency of this newsletter has provided me with a more comprehensive understanding of the key factors driving our economy. You’ve allowed me to finally to pull all the pieces together for the first time. I am grateful for that, and I’m with you for year 2!
This helps me stay sane and sleep at night. Old literally and figuratively retired ICU nurse, who actually took my oath seriously and believed healthcare is a right not a privilege. See my problem.
Congrats! Thanks for providing excellent content...and a place with a comment section that makes me believe there may be enough good and smart people out there to get through all of these crises, as opposed to most comment sections which make me wonder if there is a point of despair over the state of one's species that it becomes acceptable to actually SUPPORT climate change.
I really enjoy reading your work!!Congrats on your anniversary!
No way Dude! Thank you for speaking truth to power! Thank you for continuing to educate us and explain complex convoluted issues in simple concise ￼ways. I am extremely grateful for your time and energy spent on Substack and look forward to every article or video.
So many thank yous to you, Robert. The daily deluge of lies, evasion , distraction, deflection, etc, from trump- and MAGA- world is all so hard and frustrating to follow! You make it easier to understand and de-clutter. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge, opinion and leadership. Your service is HUGE! Thank you!